Do you like German cuisine? You answers may vary but my one is quite definite. Grown up in a city, Tsingtao, established and built by Germans since 1898. German influence has been in my life since when I was a kid. The German architects around my house, the German influenced local cuisine and the history is a spectacular experience. After coming to Adelaide, Hahndorf is also German, although the architecture is quite village like rather than city. Anyway, I still enjoyed it a lot with the pork hocks and tasty German sausages.
Less waffle, more food… German potato salad is a typical dish for the cuisine. I tried myself and here you go.
German Style Potato Salad, my way – simple and easy to make!
1Kg Potato (unpeeled)
500g Speck Portion
1 Onion (big)
2tbs Dijon Mustard
2/3 cup Apple Sauce
1 cup White Wine Winegar
Finely chopped coriander
- Dice the speck portions and add to a pan on high heat (with no oil).
2. Stir and cook until the meat gets browned on the outside. Add the onion (diced)
3. Continue to cook until onion is soft and transparent. Add the vinegar, Dijon mustard and apple sauce.
4. Cover the pan to simmer until the juice is half of the original amount. Now add some finely chopped coriander.
5. Turn off heat but leave the pan on heat. Boil the potato until cooked and get dirty to use your had to mash the potato (or using a masher).
6. Now your speck portion should look like this.
7. In a bowl mix half of the meshed potato and 1/3 of the speck portion sauce.
8. Plate up and serve!
I hope you have enjoyed the recipe! Next post will be back on my favourite sushi and I will talk about a new sushi/sashimi recipe. Stay tuned!